The ISCs provide culturally appropriate and holistic service to support humanitarian entrant students and their families with their health, psycological, social and community needs. ISCs are located at Parkwood Primary school and Koondoola Primary School.
The Multicultural Community Liaison Workers and Administration Officer at both centres are employed by the Edmund Rice Centre, Mirrabooka.
Koondoola Integrated Services Centre is based at Koondoola Primary School and assists the humanitarian entrant and refugee families at the school. The role of Multicultural Community Liaison Worker includes:
- Help enrolling at a new school when exiting Koondoola Primary School
- Housing – all aspects of finding and maintaining a tenancy.
- Immigration – family reunion and Red Cross training
- Applying for citizenship
- Help obtaining employment.
- General support and advocacy
- Referring to other agencies and programs
Information sessions at the Centre:
- Women’s Health with BreastScreen
- Discrimination with Equal Opportunity Commission
- Healthy Lunch boxes with ASeTTS
- HIV/AIDS and safe sex
- Parenting with Community Parenting Service
- Assisting the children of the ISC to participate in multicultural youth programs such as the after school sport program run by ERCM
- Organising holiday activities such as picnics in parks, movies, cooking classes at ERC etc
- Talking to the KPS classes and clients about Oral Hygiene and handing out toothbrushes to all the children